Saturday, September 20, 2014

AFI's Top Ten Movies of 2014 Just Might be Your Best Picture Nominees for 2014 Oscars | Rope of Silicon

AFI Best Movies of 2013
The AFI announced their top ten films of 2013 today and following this weekend's Los Angeles Film Critics Awards I think we are getting pretty close to what will be our Best Picture nominees for the 2014 Oscars. First, the list (in alphabetical order)...
  • 12 Years a Slave
  • American Hustle
  • Captain Phillips
  • Fruitvale Station
  • Gravity
  • Her
  • Inside Llewyn Davis
  • Nebraska
  • Saving Mr. Banks
  • The Wolf of Wall Street
I have just updated my Best Picture predictions and after Her performed so well with the Los Angeles Critics, was named Best Picture by the National Board of Review and now a top ten film of the year by the AFI, I can't help but make note of some obvious momentum here. However, that means a title must fall out of my list of nominees and today that title is Lee Daniels' The Butler, which seems to have lost any and all steam after jumping out of the gates very early. It's notable, however, at this point it means I don't have a single Weinstein title among my nominees.
I do, however, wonder what is left of the momentum for Captain PhillipsFruitvale Station seems like a possible late addition to the rankings and I'm not going to count outThe Butler entirely either as you can never keep a Weinstein title down. In fact, can you imagine a year without at least one Weinstein title among the Best Picture nominees?
For now, here is my current list of predictions for Best Picture, you can find the complete rankings here.
  1. 12 Years a Slave
  2. Saving Mr. Banks
  3. Gravity
  4. Nebraska
  5. The Wolf of Wall Street
  6. Inside Llewyn Davis
  7. American Hustle
  8. Her
  9. Captain Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment